According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, they are sweet in taste and neutral in nature; they act on the liver, lung, and kidney channels and enrich the yin energy. They can be eaten raw, consumed as juice or wine, brewed into a tea, or prepared as a tincture. It has been found that goji berries contain many nutrients as below:
* 6 essential vitamins
*11 essential elements
* 22 trace dietary minerals
* 18 amino acids
* 8 polysaccharides
* 6 monosaccharides
* 5 unsaturated fatty acids (essential fatty acids, linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid beta-sitosterol and other phytosterols)
* 5 carotenoids, including beta-carotene and zeaxanthin, lutein, lycopene and beta-cryptoxanthin, a xanthophyll
* many phenolic pigments
It has also been found that goji berries contain Calcium (112mg/100g), Potassium (1.13 mg/100g), Iron (9mg/100g), Zinc (2mg/100g), Selenium (50 micrograms/100g), Riboflavin (1.3mg/100g), Vitamin C (148mg/100g).
Goji Berries also contain many phytochemicals,
* Beta carotene: 7 mg per 100 grams dried fruit.
* Zeaxanthin: Up to 200 mg per in 100 grams dried goji berries. Up to 77% of total carotenoids present in wolfberry exist as zeaxanthin.
* Polysaccharides: up to 31% of pulp weight.
How to Eat Goji Berries
In general, goji berries are dried fruit, so there can be different ways to eat it, for example:
* with cereals
* with porridge
* with yogurt
* with hot water to prepare herbal tea
* simply eat it as it is
* and others (e.g. as cake ingredients)
Avoid using Goji Berries if you are sensitive to plants in the nightshade family. Avoid its use if you have diarrhea, flatulence and abdominal bloating.
"Scrambled Goji" Recipe
2 tbsp Agave nectar
2 tbsp tahini (raw)
4 tbsp Goji Berries
2 tbsp raw cacao nibs
Mash the avocado in a bowl with fork. Add other ingredients and mash again, until tahini and avocado mix up well.
150 g or 1 quarter cup coconut butter
100 g or 1 cup Goji Berries
3 tbsp Agave nectar
150 g or 1 1/2 cacao powder
50 g or 1/2 cup Raw Mesquite Meal
Melt cocoa butter in a water bath until done and after put all ingredients in a bledner. Blend until smooth. Pour in small cups and leave in the fridge for 3 hours. After that cut into cubes.
Goji Orgasm Juice
60 g or 2/3 cup Goji Berries
30 g or 1/3 cup almonds (soaked in a water for a couple of hours)
30 g or 1/3 cup Raw Cacao Nibs
400 ml or 1 and 1/2 cup of water
Add Goji Berries, Almonds and Raw Cacao Nibs in blender and gradually add water. Blend until smooth.
Goji and Ginger Juice
2/3 teaspoon Goji Berries
2 1/2 teaspoon coconut water
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, shredded
Mix all ingredients in a blender and serve chilled. Optional: strain the juice.